Friends Executive Board Minutes, March 9, 2010
Friends of the Del Webb Library at Indian Land
Minutes of the Executive Board Meeting
Date: March 9, 2010 @ 6:30pm
Attendance: D. Wallace, J. Tenney, N. Berry, R. Band, B. Zagor, C. McConaughay, K. Paulson, A. Jamison, D. Bottinelli
1. The meeting was opened by the president, Debbie Wallace.
2. Roll Call was completed.
3. Secretary’s report: Following a change in the net proceeds from the used book sale, the minutes of the February 9, 2010 meeting were approved.
4. Treasurer’s report: For the period ending February 28, 2010, as follows:
Income: Friends Shop…$445.50
New Membership…$35.00 Renewal…$100.00
Check book balance: $4036.09
5. Public comment: There was no public comment.
6. Library Staff report: The attendance for preschool story time was 317, movie night was 67. With the fiscal year ending on June 30, the 2010-201 may be difficult for the library. There will be state and county budget cuts, along with talk of furlough. The library is lobbying for stimulus funds and lottery funds. Time will tell. Special thanks to the Friends for their help. Since July 2009, 154 books have been purchased with funds from the Friends shop. In one month, the Discovery passes have been checked out 25 times. The Friends will be listed as a sponsor on the flier for the Summer Reading program. The “Pocket Change” drive netted $265.00. To date, there are 25,000 books on the shelves, the library opened with 10,000, and there are 6656 patrons.
7. President’s report: The Discovery passes are released 3 at a time, with 2 on reserve. The reserve passes are available for Friends members. The library is being utilized by the community. Planning for the upcoming year will take place at the April meeting.
8. Standing Committees’ report:
a. Friends Shop: The chairperson was interviewed by the SCCL “Living Magazine” and will be featured. Additional copies will be available.
b. Membership: Membership cards are ready.
9. New Business:
a. The library has asked for support from the Friends in sponsoring the Rewards for adults and young adults participating in the Summer Reading Program. A motion was made, and seconded, to donate $400.00 for the rewards for adults and young adults participating in the summer reading program. The vote was unanimous.
b. Discussion on the Friends participation in the “Fashion event Charity Day” sponsored by Belks in May, resulted in unanimous approved to go forward. K. Paulson will coordinate.
c. April’s meeting will be a volunteer faire. Advertising will include a newspaper announcement, email, phone tree and a posting on the library web site. Committees will include: The Friends shop (C. McConaughay), Fall Festival (D. Wallace), Youth Group/Children’s activities, Book Club for adult and young adults, PR/Hospitality, Author Talk (D. Bottinelli), Development (A.Jamison), Membership (E. Kirby). Each committee will make a short presentation.
d. A nominating committees, as well a chair is needed. Open seats will be president, vice president, and treasurer. R. Band will chair the bylaws committee.
e. The May meeting will be the annual meeting.
10. Adjournment: A motion was made to adjourn the meeting and seconded.