Plans for Fall Festival Underway
Del Webb and The Lancaster News/Carolina Gateway have offered to sponsor a festival this fall to benefit the new library. The festival will be held on Sun City grounds.
Brooke Moore from Pulte Homes and Jane Alford from the newspaper met with Richard Band and Karen Paulson on Friday, June 2 to begin some preliminary planning.
We are considering dates right now and hope to have that settled by early next week. Tentatively we are looking at October 14. We want to be sure we don't conflict with festivals at the high school or in Van Wyck. We will post the date here and begin advertising as soon as it is settled. Moore suggested putting up a "teaser" sign about it at the library site. We'll need to check with the county before doing that.
This will be a big project and we will be asking the library group from the Indian Land Action Council to help with the legwork. Some ideas we tossed around were:
- Sell booth space to vendors-either for a flat rate or a percentage of their sales
- Raffles-big and small items...perhaps even a car
- Donation stations-perhaps we could have some sort of competition between all the neighborhoods to see what neighborhood can get the most loose change donated
- Activities for kids, such as magic acts, storytellers, inflatables, etc.
- Is there such a thing as a portable skateboard park?
- Car show
- Silent auction
- Evening open air concert for adults
- Indian Land merchandise for sale. This might be a good time to introduce polos and tees, bumper stickers and other items that would identify Indian Land as a community
The festival will be the primary focus for the library group at the Action Council meeting on June 12. We will also ask that group to agree to meet more often than the regular once-a-month schedule.
Be sure to send an email to Karen Paulson if you are interested in assisting with this project.