Friends Executive Board Minutes, Feb 9, 2010
Friends of the Del Webb Library at Indian Land
Minutes of the Executive Board Meeting
Date: February 9, 2010 @ 6:30pm
Attendance: D. Wallace, J. Tenney, N. Berry, R. Band, E. Kirby, H. Rabic, B. Zagor, J, Garnatz, A. Jamison, C. McConaughay, K. Paulson, A McDonald, D. Bottinelli
1. The meeting was opened by the president, Debbie Wallace
2. Roll Call was completed.
3. Secretary’s report: The minutes of the January 12, 2010 meeting were presented. The minutes were approved following the addition of Marie McCrehin in attendance and under New business, bullet a, “in the amount of $1650.00”.
4. Treasurer’s report:
Income: Friends Shop…$310.00
Used Book Sale…$818.90
New Membership…$105.00 Renewal…$545.00
Check book balance: $4,317.64
5. Public comment: There was no public comment.
6. Library Staff report: The “Spare Change Campaign”, which will cover the cost of the adult summer event, has collected $87.00. Twenty  additional books have been purchased with funds from the Friend Shop. The library has started a Film Program. The first showing, “Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs”, had 70 in attendance. This will be a monthly event, held on the 1st Tuesday. The next film will be “The Princess and the Frog”. The 4th Tuesday is night time story time. The Discovery passes has been fully booked for 2 weekends.
Mr. Band reported that the library budget is in “free fall”. The Indian Land Library is on track with full funding for the summer reading program. There are plans for an expansion of the Indian Land Library with the construction of an additional meeting room.
7. President’s report: Special thanks to all participants in the January events, the Birthday Celebration, the Used Book Sales and the Author Talk. There remains $20.00 from a donation for the Birthday Bash; this will be applied to cover the expense of the clown for the event.
8. Standing Committees’ report:
a. Friends Shop: The Friends Shop will hold a yearly book sale. Over flow will be sold to an outside vendor. There is a shortage of children’s books and donations are needed. It was suggested that the high school sponsor a book drive during National Library week. This will be coordinated by the “Teen Library Advisory Board”. Pricing is needed for the purchase of additional shelves.
b. Membership: There were 7 new members in January, 4 at the Birthday Bash. Currently, there are 90 members.
9. Old Business: A discussion on how funds from special events resulted in a vote approving that all funds will be added to the Friends account with no designated purpose.
10. New Business:
a. Preliminary plans for the Full Membership Meeting in April were started. For the March meeting, chairpersons will report on the needs of their committee. Chairpersons are: C. McConaughay, Friends Shop/Book Sale; E. Kirby, Membership; A. Jamison and R. Band, development; H. Rabic and A. McDonald, Children’s activities/Youth Group; D. Bottinelli, Author Talk. Fund raising activities will include: the Fall Festival, Birthday Bash and special sales. A n updated membership list with emails and telephone numbers will be developed for the Annual Meeting in April. A wish list was developed for committees and events, included were One Book/One Community, Book Clubs for adults and younger adults, computer classes, PR committee and Hospitality committee.
b. A reading club was proposed and discussed and was tabled to a later date.
c. The annual meeting will be on the 2nd Tuesday in May.
11. Adjournment: A motion was made to adjourn the meeting and seconded.